Home insurance

Your home

Unlike car insurance, home insurance is not required by law, however if you have a mortgage, most lenders will insist you have buildings cover just in case your home is damaged and needs to be repaired.


What is home insurance?

This can be split between two different types of insurance:

  • Buildings insurance
    For permanent fixtures and fittings, like kitchens and bathrooms plus any structural damage to your home from things like collisions, falling trees and vandalism.
  • Contents insurance
    For things you keep in your home, like furniture, TVs and personal belongings, you can have various levels of cover to take into your individual needs.

You can buy these insurances separately or you can get them jointly from one insurer.